Saturday, May 5, 2012

Free Comic Book Day


Today marked a big day for my levels of geek. Today was Free Comic Book Day, and I decided to give it a shot and see which comics I could walk out with. First of all, it's been difficult living in a place where you don't know anyone and your previous hobby (card games) is forced to take a back seat. So I figured this event would give me a morale boost and not only reintroduce me to one of my first hobbies, but perhaps reintroduce me into the world of comics in general (and maybe meet some people in the process).

I quickly saw the variety of comics before me, and without a second thought I instantly grabbed all the comics I knew I was gonna sit down and read.

This is what I came out with.

Right there, I quickly began to remind myself why I loved comics so much. But it's been so long since I picked one up. So for the first time since the late 90's, I was once again sitting down and reading some good comics. And from that pack, a few select comics stood out. And from that pack, I think a few will become series I'm gonna keep up with and have become something I'm looking forward to. So I think I was happily reconnected with an old hobby.

These were the Top 5 Comics that stood out from whatever I brought home.


#5: Path of the Planeswalker II


The one comic that connects to my card game hobby. As an MTG player, I was always intrigued with the backstory of each Planeswalker. Finding out who they were, why they could travel, what caused them to be, and who their enemies are have always been a treat when reading these. It gives more depth to these guys and makes them feel more than "just a card." I'm always a sucker for a good Planeswalker story.

#4: Avengers Age of Ultron


The Avengers meeting a foe that already can literally outsmart each of them before even getting a chance to battle? Now that's a dastardly villain! They seemed to have the upper hand and got nearly obliterated afterwards. Not only that, but even Tony Stark seemed to tremble at the might of this particular foe. If you ask me, this one's definitely on my list to check out.

#3: Sonic The Hedgehog


One of the series I enjoyed during the late 90's was the Sonic series. Thankfully, the series is still as good as I remember it. Incredible story, the characters seem as lively as I remember, and Eggman seems as dastardly and evil as ever. The cliffhanger in the last page definitely reminded me how good the Sonic series is, and it just might get me back to that once loyal series I followed as a kid.

#2: Mega Man


Yes, yes, and a thousand times yes! This one seemed like a perfect match for me, especially since I'm a really big Mega Man fan. The story really brings out the essence of the game quite well, so good that it had me drowning in a sea of nostalgia. I had no idea this comic even existed, but I'm sure glad I stumbled upon this. I'm aching to see what happens next, even though we already know due to the games. And despite that, I found it hard to put this one down. Why? The story brought more life to the series. Definitely a winner.

#1: Avengers


Avengers, a story that has more questions than answers, and Time Travel?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!? As soon as I saw that The Avengers were faced with a threat from the future, I was quickly hooked. Not because of the time travel alone, but because this comic did a good job at getting me interested in the story. What caused that threat? How are they going to stop it? How will Stark engineer that time machine? Who is the missing person he referenced? And last but not least, what's up with Hulk on that last page?

This got my curiosity going in levels it hasn't done in quite a while. So this is one series I'm gonna be sure to follow if I can get my hands on it.

So that's all for my review of today's Free Comic Book Day event. Hope you enjoyed yourselves with your comics. And feel free to share your opinion on your top comics of the day if you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment